Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Getting a few thousand views or subscribers does not make you successful

I should have made this article earlier but I guess I'll do it now.

If you have a few measly thousand subscribers, you are not doing well at Youtube.



If you have a few ten thousand views per month, you are not successful at Youtube.

There are people who think just because they get more than 0 traffic on Youtube that they are doing well.

That is not how it works. Thousands of views per month is pathetic traffic.

How do I know this? Because I got this much traffic last year on my oldest Youtube channel...........


That is a little over half a million views.

This is how TheRPGFanatic channel has done in the past five months,


That's about 118,000 views to all my videos on the channel.

This is how much I've got the past month on that gaming channel,


That's about 34,000 views.

So when I tell you that this is not good enough, I mean it because I'm living it. I'm not saying it to be mean or cruel or elitist. I'm saying it because it is 100% true. 

I'm not allowed to say how much I am making but I can say this: I can't buy a brand new Playstation 3 with the amount I make every month, let alone enough to make this a full time job.

I need to say this because there are some Partners who believe seeing thousands and thousands of views means they are doing well. I hate to burst your bubble, but you are not.

You need to make millions of views every month in order to be successful at Youtube.

Every video on your channel should have, at the bare minimum, 100k views. And even that is scrapping at the bottom of the barrel instead of reaching for the stars, because millions and millions of views per month is not only possible but required in order to be able to do Youtube as a full time job or even build a company where you employ other people.

Now what I do believe is this: with the amount of traffic I am receiving I should be able to build upon this and turn it into millions of views. I just don't understand how to do that yet, because I suck at marketing.

But I do not believe for a second that I am successful at Youtube. I'm not. I will not be successful until I am getting millions of views per month, and I will not be "satisfied" until I have billions. This is because my goal is to build a company, not to sit around and play videogames all day.

PS: You might think my subscriber counts are good, since I gained 532 in the past few months. It's not. If I was doing well I would be receiving hundreds of subscribers every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment