Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Importance of Facebook for Youtube Partners



Having a Facebook Fan Page is crucial to your success on Youtube for several reasons.

Firstly, even with a small number of fans liking your page, you can have a lot of reach. For example, even with just 346 fans on The RPG Fanatic Fan Page I am able to reach 1,917 people with my status updates.

This is because as fans 'like' a post they also share it with their friends in their status feeds, and they can 'share' your Fan Page posts on their wall. This allows you to embed a video into a status update of your Facebook Fan Page and then have that video circulated throughout the social networks of Facebook.

I have Facebook Fan Pages for every project I have created, ranging from books I've published to movies I've made. Every one of my websites has a Facebook Fan Page.



Additionally you can use your Fan page to create an event, such as announcing your next livestream or a convention panel you are going to hold.

Some people might think just having lots of subscribers on Youtube is fine, but a few months ago Youtube added a function called 'highlights' to the subscriber feeds. The highlights function cannot be turned off and intentionally hides a lot of content from subscribers. It is also incredibly buggy and often just displays the same 5 videos over and over again. Youtube has also done some other shady things to manipulate Youtube Search page results to favor big companies and screw everyone else over.



Additionally, the number of 'likes' your Facebook Fan Page has demonstrates "social proof", which can be used to convince other people that they should also be following your Fan Page. Companies also want to work with those who have large social network reach; for example, my ability to get into press events and receive review copies of products depends on how large my audience is on both Youtube and Facebook.



It can be hard to accumulate 'likes' to your page, even if your videos receive a lot of traffic. However, one of the most effective ways to build followers is to send mass Facebook Fan Page invites to your friends. 



Lastly on your Youtube channel you can add links to your right hand sidebar. A great link to put at the top is one directly to your Facebook Fan Page. My RPG Fanatic channel is a great example of what I'm talking about.

I hope this article has helped convince you of the merits of making and maintaining a Facebook Fan page.









Looking for more information about what you can do with Facebook Pages? Check out these other articles I've written.



1 comment:

  1. I agree, Facebook has a ton of potential, its just getting people to actually share stuff that is the trick.

    ReplyDelete