Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hosting events to promote your Youtube Partner channel

The other day I wrote about some offline promotion efforts I was attempting to do, but I forgot to mention one of them.

If you attend conventions (especially anime conventions) you'll often see famous Youtubers make guest appearances and host panels talking about something (usually Q & A sessions about their work, but sometimes about other things like Japanese tea ceremonies or their love of Power Rangers).

There is really no reason why you need to be famous to host a panel at a convention; many conventions have a page for people to submit requests to host panels, and if there is space and time available the conventions will allow you to do so. I've hosted three panels, among which was a Mizuumicon panel about videogame collecting which I co-hosted with my good friend 8-Bit Eric.


But you don't have to wait for a convention to roll around to host an event. You can also work with local businesses to host events at their locations. Book authors have been doing events like book signings and readings for years, so why shouldn't Youtube Partners do the same?



Here is an example of an event I'm currently putting together, which I feel will help raise awareness of my Youtube Partner channel,


At Ooples Anime Apparel in San Antonio, Texas they have a back room with a projector. They also have a lot of people who enjoy playing retro games on it. So I came up with the idea to host an event every Monday that would cater to that crowd, since many of the games I review are older titles.

I believe that making the event a regular thing (rather than once a year at a convention) will lead to not just the event becoming more popular, but also allow me to build a more solid fanbase in the area I live; people will have actually met me in person and have a more personal relationship with me.

Then, when I do events at local conventions like San Japan and Mizuumicon more people will show up and bring their friends when I talk specifically about my channel.

I realize there are many different types of Youtube Partner channels out there, so something like hosting a game event may not be exactly what you should do. But there has got to be some kind of event you can host  at a local business, and by doing so you might build a more solid fanbase in your area.


No comments:

Post a Comment